Deflowering of Eva Van End

April 13, 2013, 12:00 AM   |   posted by in Filmmakers

defloweringofevavanend.jpg

Michiel ten Horn was inspired by his family to make his feature directorial debut, “The Deflowering of Eva Van End.” He and co-writer Anne Barnhoorn wanted to work together again after they had collaborated with on another project—a Dutch television film called “Alex in Amsterdam.

“We share the same humor and like the same stuff,” he explains. “Anne can make my ideas a bit darker. I love that.”

For ten Horn, it was important to start at the beginning of the process in making this film, which was coming up with the story idea.

“For me as a filmmaker, I always want to start at the beginning. I can't really imagine someone handing me a script and saying, go for it. I want to make up the stories from the top.”

The story of “The Deflowering of Eva Van End” developed from the writing duo’s observations about how bizarre familial relationships can be sometimes. He sees a little bit of himself as a kid in the character of Manual and a little bit of Anne Barnhoorn in Eva.

“We started brainstorming and we kept coming back to our own families and families in general—how bizarre relationships in a family can be and how much you can both love and hate the same person. We just had a lot of funny and embarrassing anecdotes of ourselves as kids.”

One challenge for ten Horn in the filmmaking process was maintaining his original intentions with the story despite the intensity of the process.

“You always have to keep listing to yourself,” says ten Horn. “What do I really want to say? What did I really want to say when I came up with the story?”

PDF  Download Related PDF [1.9 MB]

Related Screenings:
04/12/13 @ 4:05 PM – The Deflowering of Eva van End
04/13/13 @ 6:20 PM – The Deflowering of Eva van End

Permalink  [Permalink]

Download The Daily

Check out the latest festival highlights and goings on in the print edition of The Daily.

View Now

CIFF Tweets

Nice! RT@AirportInfiniti Can you picture a better scene than you arriving to @CIFF in a #free Infiniti? You can here. http://t.co/6s9aCIgp1f

about 15 hours ago   .   Reply   .   Retweet   .   Favorite

CIFF Facebook Posts

Our friends at Maserati of Cleveland are giving away four #CIFF39 Opening Night tickets + a Maserati for the weekend! Get the full info here: https://m.pgtb.me/Fj8NqK

about 18 hours ago   .   Link

CIFF on YouTube All Videos

Play

Between Two Films.

Play

CIFF 38 Daily Buzz Day 13 Wrap Up

Play

Meet the Filmmaker with Michele Josue, Judy & Dennis Shepard from "Matt Shepard is a Friend of Mine"

Tickets On Sale to the General Public Friday, March 6th >

Tickets On Sale to the General Public Friday, March 6th

CIFF39 tickets will go on sale to the general public Friday, March 6th at 11:00 a.m.

Tickets on Sale to Members Friday, February 27th >

Tickets on Sale to Members Friday, February 27th

CIFF39 tickets go on sale to MEMBERS ONLY February 27th at 11:00 a.m. Join or renew today!

Sign up for our email newsletter

go