Getting Out of the Way: JD Beales on "The Coin Bearer"

April 05, 2013, 12:00 AM   |   posted by Lara Klaber in Filmmakers

jdbealesbyjanetmacoskasmall.jpg

Producer JD Beales was vacationing in the Philippines with his wife when he first discovered the work of Paul Sta. Ana, whose work was screening on the campus of Ateneo de Manila—his wife’s alma mater.

I was inspired by how much he and his peers were able to achieve with little in terms of resources,” says Beales of Sta. Ana’s work. “I was impressed with the story, acting, and intent.”

So began their collaboration, which ultimately led to the making of “The Coin Bearer (Oros).” They actually set out to make an entirely different film.

“Paul and I began our collaboration with an entirely different project,” says Beales. “I was more compelled by Paul and by my desire to collaborate with him in the beginning than any particular story.”

For Beales, a big challenge in the production was “letting go of [his] desire to control the production.

“I felt that my involvement as an American at such an intimate level might detract from telling the story that we wanted to tell,” he says. “The production had many challenges, but my biggest challenge was my own ego.”

He decided that the best way to produce the film was from a distance, so he was actually not present during the actual shooting. He watched the dailies, but from afar.

“Giving up a level of control to realize a greater good was actually quite difficult for me,” Beales explains. “My name only appears one time in the credits, and as silly as this may sound, I'm proud of that.”

--Bridget Kriner

Photo by Janet Macoska

PDF  Download Related PDF [1.6 MB]

Related Screenings:
04/04/13 @ 4:25 PM – The Coin Bearer
04/05/13 @ 11:50 AM – The Coin Bearer
04/10/13 @ 9:10 PM – The Coin Bearer

Download The Daily

Check out the latest festival highlights and goings on in the print edition of The Daily.

View Now

CIFF Tweets

If you're looking for a fun night out w/friends, join us on 11/18 for WILD ORCHID. Food+wine+flowers=A+ night! http://t.co/y9VIGDo56h

about 7 hours ago   .   Reply   .   Retweet   .   Favorite

CIFF Facebook Posts

Come spend an evening with us on Wednesday, November 12th at one of the most talked about new venues, The Nightlight for CITY LIGHTS! We’ll snack on hors d’oeuvres and sip on beverages as this panel of local creative favorites gathers to discuss the arts, NEO, and what’s in store for the region. For full panel and event information, visit http://bit.ly/1rev6Ur

about 12 hours ago   .   Link

CIFF on YouTube All Videos

Play

Between Two Films.

Play

CIFF 38 Daily Buzz Day 13 Wrap Up

Play

Meet the Filmmaker with Michele Josue, Judy & Dennis Shepard from "Matt Shepard is a Friend of Mine"

Become A CIFF Member >

Become A CIFF Member

We have five different levels of membership to choose from, so find the one that best fits your film appetite!

38th CIFF Award Winners >

38th CIFF Award Winners

Look through the complete list of award winners from the 38th CIFF!

Sign up for our email newsletter

go