Getting Out of the Way: JD Beales on "The Coin Bearer"

April 05, 2013, 12:00 AM   |   posted by in Filmmakers

jdbealesbyjanetmacoskasmall.jpg

Producer JD Beales was vacationing in the Philippines with his wife when he first discovered the work of Paul Sta. Ana, whose work was screening on the campus of Ateneo de Manila—his wife’s alma mater.

I was inspired by how much he and his peers were able to achieve with little in terms of resources,” says Beales of Sta. Ana’s work. “I was impressed with the story, acting, and intent.”

So began their collaboration, which ultimately led to the making of “The Coin Bearer (Oros).” They actually set out to make an entirely different film.

“Paul and I began our collaboration with an entirely different project,” says Beales. “I was more compelled by Paul and by my desire to collaborate with him in the beginning than any particular story.”

For Beales, a big challenge in the production was “letting go of [his] desire to control the production.

“I felt that my involvement as an American at such an intimate level might detract from telling the story that we wanted to tell,” he says. “The production had many challenges, but my biggest challenge was my own ego.”

He decided that the best way to produce the film was from a distance, so he was actually not present during the actual shooting. He watched the dailies, but from afar.

“Giving up a level of control to realize a greater good was actually quite difficult for me,” Beales explains. “My name only appears one time in the credits, and as silly as this may sound, I'm proud of that.”

--Bridget Kriner

Photo by Janet Macoska

PDF  Download Related PDF [1.6 MB]

Related Screenings:
04/04/13 @ 4:25 PM – The Coin Bearer
04/05/13 @ 11:50 AM – The Coin Bearer
04/10/13 @ 9:10 PM – The Coin Bearer

Permalink  [Permalink]

Download The Daily

Check out the latest festival highlights and goings on in the print edition of The Daily.

View Now

CIFF Tweets

We have a packed house tonight at the #CIFF39 #Akron Preview Reception at the beautiful @akroncivic! http://t.co/kXgkxqQIOj

about 12 hours ago   .   Reply   .   Retweet   .   Favorite

CIFF Facebook Posts

Do you have your copy of the #CIFF39 Program Guide? If you do, we have a surprise for you: for the second year in a row, we built augmented reality into the cover! Don’t know what that is? Check out this video from CIFF38 that explains it all: http://bit.ly/1hf7b0s. [video]

about 21 hours ago   .   Link

CIFF on YouTube All Videos

Play

Between Two Films.

Play

CIFF 38 Daily Buzz Day 13 Wrap Up

Play

Meet the Filmmaker with Michele Josue, Judy & Dennis Shepard from "Matt Shepard is a Friend of Mine"

Tickets On Sale to the General Public Friday, March 6th >

Tickets On Sale to the General Public Friday, March 6th

CIFF39 tickets will go on sale to the general public Friday, March 6th at 11:00 a.m.

Tickets on Sale to Members Friday, February 27th >

Tickets on Sale to Members Friday, February 27th

CIFF39 tickets go on sale to MEMBERS ONLY February 27th at 11:00 a.m. Join or renew today!

Sign up for our email newsletter

go